Choosing the right gift hamper can take long enough, with so many sellers and hamper delivery options now available. But are you getting value for money when it comes to the cost of your hamper delivery? We looked at the top hamper sellers and compared the prices, so you can see who charges what – the results may surprise you!
Hamper delivery charges – UK
|Express||Standard||Named day||Click and Collect|
|Fortnum and Mason||£9.95 (next day)||£5.95 (3-5 working days)||£7.95 (Mon-Fri), £9.95 (Sat - Sun)||Free|
|John Lewis||£6.95 (next day)||Free (up to 5 working days)||£6.95||Free|
|Waitrose||£5.95 (next day)||Not available||£5.95||Not available|
|Marks and Spencer||£3.99 (free over £50)||£3.50 (free over £50, 3-5 working days)||£3.99 (free over £50)||Not available|
|Harrods||£12 (next day, Mon-Fri), £18 (Sat-Sun)||£5.95 (3-5 days)||Not available||Not available|
|Selfridges||£8 (next day)||£5 (up to 5 days)||£8 (Mon-Sun)||Free|
|Harvey Nichols||£10 (next day, Mon-Fri)||£6 (up to 3 days, Mon-Fri)||£10 (Mon-Fri)||Free|
|Hotel Chocolat||£4.95 (next day, Mon-Sat)||£3.95 (3-5 days, Mon-Fri)||£4.95 (next day, Mon-Sat)||Free|
There are lots of variations in the hamper delivery services offered. If you have plenty of time to arrange your delivery, you can save money by ordering ahead on a standard service. If time is short, you can pay more for an express delivery or even a same-day hamper delivery.
Same-day hamper delivery
If you are in a real hurry, you can get same-day delivery from Harvey Nichols (within a 10 mile radius of UK store) or from Hotel Chocolat (within 20 mile radius of store). Charges vary depending on the item(s) ordered and the distance from the store. This is a great choice if you want to send a lastminute present or to to surprise someone with a congratulations gift.
Hamper delivery charges – international
Are you looking for an expat gift? A hamper is a great way to remind them of things they might miss from home. Do you know someone that loves all things British? You can send something to them, even if they can’t visit the UK themselves. We have looked at the various options for delivering a hamper to places like Australia, United States of America, Canada and Spain.
|Australia / New Zealand||EU inc Spain and France||USA / Canada||South Africa|
|Fortnum and Mason||£40 (6 working days)||£15 (6 working days)||£30 (5 working days)||£40 (6 working days)|
|John Lewis||£10 (Aus 5-11 days, NZ 5-9 days)||£7.50 (2-11 days depending on country)||£10||£10 (5-9 days)|
|Waitrose||Not available||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Marks and Spencer||Not available||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Harrods||Not available||£20 (5-10 days)||£25 (6-10 days)||Not available|
|Selfridges||£25 (up to 6 working days)||£15 (up to 4 working days)||£25 (up to 5 working days)||£25 (up to 5 working days)|
|Harvey Nichols||Price varies - contact customer services||Price varies - contact customer services||Price varies - contact customer services||Price varies - contact customer services|
|Hotel Chocolat||£14.95 (5-8 working days)||£7.95 (3-8 working days)||£14.95 (5-8 working days)||£14.95 (5-8 working days)|
As you can see, not all retailers send hampers and gifts overseas. When they do, the delivery options vary and there are some exceptions that apply. These depend on the products in the hamper and on local import restrictions.
Fortnum & Mason – international deliveries
- Availability: 49 hampers for to export to the EU; 23 hampers that can be delivered to the rest of the world.
- Customs charges: there is a tax and duties calculator available at the checkout. Fortnum and Mason delivery charges include packaging and carriage costs only.
John Lewis – international deliveries
- Customs charges: all non-EU deliveries may be subject to taxes, fees, levies or other charges. It is the responsibility of the recipient (not the sender) to pay these charges. Please bear in mind that they may be contacted prior to delivery.
- Restrictions – here are the John Lewis hampers that can be sent overseas, none of which contain any food or drink items. No other hampers can be sent due to local restrictions.
Harrods – international deliveries
- Harrods does not send any alcohol overseas, so here are the alcohol-free hampers that are available to send.
- Customs charges: local taxes and duties are calculated at the checkout.
- Restrictions – please note: due to local restrictions, no hampers, gift boxes or food items can be sent to Australia or New Zealand. Other countries may also restrict the import of these and other types of products.
Selfridges – international deliveries
- Customs charges: all local costs are calculated at checkout so there are no charges on import.
- Restrictions: Only some Selfridges hampers are available for international delivery. Please check the product page for more information.
Hotel Chocolat – international deliveries
- Customs charges: Hotel Chocolat products send products on a delivery duty unpaid basis. This means that import duties (costs) or a customs fees may be applied prior to or on delivery. Hotel Chocolat asks customers to check for any local taxes, fees or levies which may apply to the country of import.
- Restrictions: some hampers and gifts are restricted for items like alcohol and liquids. To save you time searching, here are the alcohol-free Hotel Chocolat gifts, but please check the product page before ordering. It’s good to know that Hotel Chocolat highlights any restrictions during the checkout process too.
Free delivery and… free hamper!
Of course, the best value hamper is a free one. Enter a hamper competition to win one!